Providence WaterFire is indeed a captivating art installation and cultural event held in Providence, Rhode Island. It was created by Barnaby Evans and first presented in 1994 as a one-time event to celebrate the tenth anniversary of First Night Providence. Due to its immense popularity and positive reception, WaterFire became a recurring spectacle that has since become a beloved tradition in the city. more here
Key features of Providence WaterFire include:
1. Braziers and Fire: WaterFire consists of a series of large metal braziers, which are placed on the three rivers that run through downtown Providence: the Woonasquatucket River, the Moshassuck River, and the Providence River. The braziers are filled with wood and set ablaze, creating a stunning display of fire along the waterways.
2. Mesmerizing Atmosphere: As the braziers flicker and dance on the water, the captivating flames and glowing embers create a mesmerizing and otherworldly atmosphere. The combination of fire, water, and music results in an immersive sensory experience that delights visitors.
3. Music and Performances: WaterFire is often accompanied by live music performances, adding to the enchanting ambiance. Musicians play from boats floating on the river or from designated performance stages, contributing to the cultural aspect of the event.
4. Cultural and Community Gathering: WaterFire has become a symbol of community engagement and celebration in Providence. Locals and tourists alike come together to witness this extraordinary event, fostering a sense of unity and cultural appreciation.
5. Seasonal Occurrence: WaterFire typically takes place on select evenings throughout the year, typically from late spring to early fall. The event schedule is published in advance, and each WaterFire usually has its unique theme or program.
6. Accessibility: WaterFire is a free public event, making it accessible to all members of the community. Visitors are encouraged to explore the riverbanks, bridges, and various vantage points along the rivers to get the best views of the spectacle.
Providence WaterFire has grown into a signature cultural event, drawing thousands of people to the heart of the city and enhancing the city’s vibrant arts and entertainment scene. Its success lies in its ability to combine art, music, and community engagement in a way that captivates and inspires all who experience it. view more